Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Whatever Happened to Save the Babies? Higher Educational Funding is About to be Cut by 89 Billion.....

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-14/higher-education-funding-cut-by-89-billion-over-10-years-in-obama-budget.html

Really, so this is what it is coming to. First, the catastrophic No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 pretty much destroyed inner-city schools across the nation by depleting the funding that so many schools need and rely upon. And now President Elect Barack Obama plans on cutting educational funding by 89 billion dollars over the next ten years. All of this after the President stressed the desire for the U.S.A. to lead the world in college graduates by the year 2020. We're not talking about reducing the spending on war over the next ten years, are you crazy, that would be immoral. How dare we even propose that, so let's take it away from what they need most, yes the peoples' education. All I can see are the two scientists in that Guinness commercial yelling "Brilliant". You know what, I think it is time to get it cracking like over there in London. Read the article and watch the video.....

3 comments:

  1. Interesting stuff! I kind of side with Obama here, he's got to do something and this increases funding for K-12 education and at least keeps Pell grants alive at the moment. I think the bigger issue is WHY the cost of higher education is sckyrocketing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say that I disagree with you Davy. I whole-heartedly understand that. My problem is why can't they shift some of that money around, especially all of the money they have earmarked for the war. I bet war funding won't be short 89 billion for the next 10 years. And I'm sure they will spend well over 89 billion over the course of the next 10 years on a war that can't be won and will never be over. My thing is let's have some type of balance. And yes that is a great question that needs to be addressed: Why is the cost of tuition going up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the war. I can't understand a president who runs on getting out of Iraq, sends more troops to Afghanistan.

    The cost of tuition needs to be capped somehow. I know it could be difficult at "for-profit" universities, but this is about education and the word "profit" shouldn't be top priority. These universities are responsible to educating citizens of the U.S. so the U.S. government must be able to hold them accountable and set limits on what they can charge.

    BTW, read the other article from democracy now. INSANITY!!! The government is basically choosing who can live and die with the hits to the LIHEAP program. Couldn't be more dissapointed with what's going on with these democrats.

    ReplyDelete