Monday, February 14, 2011

Black History Song of the Day: Marvin Gaye- What's Going On

This is perhaps Marvin Gaye's most profound work. Rarely being involved in the songwriting process, Marvin was inspired to participate. This is due to the letters he received from his brother as well as the stories his brother told him upon his return from the Vietnam War. So I ask, since the beginning of the war on terror, with all of the perform for the troops concerts we hear about, why aren't there more songs and albums in the same vein? If you have never heard or listened to Marvin's 1971 album What's Going On please do. It is a conceptual album (the first of it's kind from a soul musician) that takes you on a ride with a Vietnam War veteran. Upon the soldier's return to the U.S.A. he sees injustice, poverty, grief, hatred and violence. Marvin had this to say about the album in an article with Rolling Stone Magazine:
"In 1969 or 1970, I began to re-evaluate my whole concept of what I wanted my music to say... I was very much affected by letters my brother was sending me from Vietnam, as well as the social situation here at home. I realized that I had to put my own fantasies behind me if I wanted to write songs that would reach the souls of people. I wanted them to take a look at what was happening in the world."


No comments:

Post a Comment